February 6, 2009

Roy Strassberg: Exhibition


HOLOCAUST BONE STRUCTURES: BLACK ANGELS
Ceramic sculpture by ROY STRASSBERG

Rowe Arts Main Gallery
UNC Charlotte – 9201 Univ. City Blvd.
Department of Art & Art History

January 20th, 2009 – February 15th

“When I started making work referencing the Holocaust in 1992, my greatest challenge was to find an appropriate metaphor for examining mass murder as a subject for artistic expression. Throughout my career I have often returned to imagery that reflected upon my cultural background and my reaction to some of the unfortunate events that have occurred throughout our history, specifically the destruction and murder of the European Jews. When I decided to undertake the series that ultimately became the Holocaust Bone Structures, I was determined to find a simple symbolic language in that the images used were easily identifiable, but placed in contexts that were eccentric and/or peculiar to ordinary experience. The bone image emerged as a way of suggesting that this work, when seen in context, could ultimately be construed as a symbol of death on a gigantic scale; in a word, genocide.”

Roy Strassberg is the current chairman of the Department of Art & Art History at UNC Charlotte. His work can be found in the Yad Vashem Museum in Jerusalem, Israel.

For additional information please contact George Kaperonis, Gallery Manager, 704-687-2869, gkaperon@uncc.edu or rstrass@uncc.edu.

No comments: